Doonmore Street – Boarding House
Land and Housing Corporation NSW – Department of Planning, Industry and Environment
Members of the Darug Nation are the original custodians of the Penrith area. The City of Penrith’s initial district councils were created in 1843. After Penrith being incorporated in 1871, on 1st January 1949, Penrith Municipal Council was established by combining Mulgoa, Castlereagh, St Marys and Nepean Shire.
The City of Penrith has a broad variety of land types and uses, from urban to rural spaces. This includes high density residential, farmland and nature reserves. Languages other than English spoken by residents include Hindi, Punjabi, Arabic and Filipino/Tagalog.
The projected tenants will be women at risk of homelessness.
In August 2020, Land and Housing Corporation NSW appointed Shakeup Architecture to construct a boarding house within a residential area in Penrith. The building was strategically split to reduce its bulk and scale and minimize the impact on neighboring properties. The centre void accommodates vehicle and bicycle parking whilst the rear of the site contains a private community garden for the tenants. Materials and finishes were inspired in the traditional brick and weatherboard constructions in the area.
Being a corner site, the eastern building addresses both street frontages and includes 4 boarding rooms (1 accessible). The western building comprises of 2 boarding rooms and a common room. Each boarding room will have their own kitchen area and ensuite.